Tuesday, May 3, 2016

How Thrifting Has Improved My Health

Intriguing title, yes?


This may seem like a silly claim, but it's not. You see, now that I'm retired, my other gig is writing mystery novels. It's a job I love, but it requires a lot of ABC time. That is, "Apply But to Chair."

Because I was spending so much time at my desk on my laptop, I was literally starting to atrophy. I knew I needed to get up and moving. A lot of people recommend a standing desk. I really couldn't see myself using one. So I decided to change up my routine.

I was already spending several days a week thrifting, but according to my FitBit, I wasn't getting nearly enough steps. Most people strive for 10,000 a day. On days I spent at home writing, I was lucky to get 1,000 steps. A normal day of hitting a few Goodwills only racked up about 3,000.

I turned to my friends for help--my friends on YouTube, that is. I had gotten into the habit of listening to reseller podcasts at night in bed (with headphones so my husband wasn't disturbed). This created two problems: I was missing out on reading at night, and it wasn't helping me get exercise.

My new routine is great. First thing in the morning and before I go to bed, I walk and listen to podcasts on my phone. Sometimes I walk outside, often times I just walk around my house. (It drives my dog nuts, by the way.) You could do the same thing with audio books, but I prefer to read rather than listen. It makes the time seem to go faster.

The podcasts make me feel part of the larger reselling community, and I'm getting an average of 8,000 steps in a day! I'm feeling stronger and losing weight.

If you are interested in following my lead, here is a list of my favorite Podcasts:

Scavenger Life (audio only except for episodes titled "What Sells on Ebay."
Texas Gal Treasures
Pudgy Picker
Mad Maine
Thrifty Treasures
The Paper Castle
Raiken Profits

Hope you find this information useful.

Happy thrifting.  -Lisa

Do you have favorite reselling podcasters? Add them to the comments below.





No comments:

Post a Comment